The Dalai Lama’s Rules For Living
On 15 June 2015 Steven Brown had the pleasure of attending the Australian-Israel Chamber of Commerce (WA) Inc lunch for His Holiness the Dalai Lama as a guest of Louis Botha of Agile By Design.
At the luncheon the 14th Dalai Lama spoke on the topic of “Can one be happy and rich?” The name Dalai Lama means “Ocean of Wisdom” in Tibetan. He provided guests with his 18 rules of living as listed below:
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t forget the lesson.
3. Follow the three Rs:
- Respect for self.
- Respect for others.
- Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realise you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.